+ A A A -
How does identity theft occur?
Identity thieves use a number of different ways to gain access to your personal information, they may:
- Steal your wallet or purse containing identification cards, credit cards, and bank information.
- Steal your mail including credit and bank statements, new checks, and tax information.
- Go through trash cans and dumpsters stealing bills and documents with sensitive information.
- Complete a "change of address" form to redirect your mail.
- Work for a business, medical office, government agency and steal your personal information on the job.
- Contact you via phone with an "offer" and ask you to send personal information to "qualify'.
- Steal your personal information through email by saying they are with a legitimate company and claiming that you have a problem with your account.
This answer has been viewed 7222 times.